.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Web Statistics
Sunday, March 19, 2006
3rd Anniversary
I have a difficult time supporting the war in Iraq. I support the troops, just not the issues, not the President. I'm sure I'm basing my reaction to this on my own personal experience- something I normally struggle not to do. I try to be logical and not mix my own emotions into the thought process. I'm afraid I can't do that in this issue. I've seen first hand what war does to a soldier. For 5 of the 9 years I was married my (now ex) husband was a Marine. He served in Operation Desert Storm. I don't think he was ever the same afterward. Not mentally anyhow. I don't see how a person could see the things that he saw and not be changed. I'm sorry to say that it wasn't for the better. And God knows what he was exposed to in the burning oil fields, and potential chemical warfare. That time isn't something I think about often anymore... I think that's for the best. As Forrest Gump liked to say..."That's all I have to say about that."
 
posted by Lisa at 3/19/2006 09:21:00 AM ¤ Permalink ¤


1 Comments:


  • At 3/19/2006 10:07:00 AM, Blogger Diana_CT

    I graduated from high school in ’67 in a class of about 75, four years latter three of them were dead and some were wounded, but all of my classmates who went over to ‘Nam were changed. Some were changed in radically ways (drugs, alcohol or anti-social) some in subtle ways. My next door neighbor always use to make fun of us “Long hair hippie freaks” joined the Marine Corps; about a month after he got over there, he was killed. I always respected the men and women who fought in Vietnam, they did it because they were either drafted or felt strongly in the war. But I didn’t respect the politicians who sent them there either then or now. The Vietnam War was based on the Gulf of Tonkin which turned out to be a lie and the Iraq War was based on the Weapons of Mass Destruction
    What do we do now? I don’t know, we are Damn if we do and Damn if we don’t.

     

Cost of Bush's Ego War In Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
What else could we do with a billion bucks a week?
Click here to find out.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.