.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Web Statistics
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
It Must Be My "Magnetic" Personality!

I had my MRI yesterday. I had to hand over my bra (might have metal in it), my jewelry (ditto) and lie perfectly still while Velcro-ed down to a table. Sounds like a bad date I once went on. (I'm just kidding!)

As I was seeing the orthopedic this morning, I got a copy of the MRI on CD to take with me. Of course, my curious nature took over and I had to pop it into my own computer to take a look. Like I know what I am looking at! Still, it was an interesting thing to me. I have a digital x-ray system at my work, so it was fascinating to compare the abilities of the programs. I don't know a thing about shoulders, so this shot of my MRI looks a bit like a slab of a ham steak. Just another reason why I will never eat ham. I detest the stuff. Anyhow, I digress...

I had my meeting with the ortho. doctor this morning, as I've already stated. For some reason, he couldn't get all 15 views of the MRI to open, just this first "ham steak" one pictured above. It wasn't really enough for him to see what was going on. They did take 4 x-rays and I did not break (or re-break) my clavicle. I did that a few years ago with a kayak.

He did say that I separated my shoulder and tore some of the ligaments in there. I have to do some physical therapy exercises, ice and heat and wear this stupid sling for at least another week and a half.

The good thing is, I hurt my left shoulder and I'm mainly right handed. But I'm also amazed that you really need two arms/hands for many, many things!

Things I can do with only one arm:

  1. Drive (just don't call me on my cell phone unless I have my Bluetooth on!)
  2. Type (okay, I still use the left hand, just in a limited way.)
  3. Hold a glass of wine (but opening the bottle is a bitch! I'm just kidding- I haven't had any wine.)
  4. Talk on the phone (but not while doing #1, #2 or #3)
Obviously, I've lost my ability to multi-task with this injury.

I'm currently at a loss for anything else...any suggestions?

 
posted by Lisa at 5/09/2006 12:00:00 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


2 Comments:


  • At 5/09/2006 03:46:00 PM, Blogger Cat.

    How is washing your hair going? Can you get your shoulder rotated up that far?

    I'd be stuck without a left arm: it's the side I carry books around on. ;-)

    I do hope you can get all your torn
    ligaments to heal quickly.

     
  • At 5/09/2006 11:49:00 PM, Blogger Irish Church Lady :)

    Nasty! That's quite a spell you took. Hope you're on the mend soon.

    I took a tumble on my bike today too. A kid ran me off the path, not intentionally. He was riding on my side (his left / my right). He told me it was his first day with his new bike. I told him, you know you pass on the right, just like a car. This was as I was pulling myself out of the bush. Got scrapes on my arm and my pedal was a little screwed up but hubby fixed it. He was so mad at that kid when I told him. I said well it could have been a lot worse!

    Will ride again! I hope you will be able to too!
    Cheers!

     

Cost of Bush's Ego War In Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
What else could we do with a billion bucks a week?
Click here to find out.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.