.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Web Statistics
Saturday, March 25, 2006
Back To Cache
As I had written last night, Cache is not a movie for the masses, not American's anyhow. I'm afraid that our culture has created an audience that cannot wait and must have constant stimulation. We don't want detail shots, we don't want any mystery and above all, we don't want to to be forced to think too much. This movie possess all of those quantities, and more. Part of my problem is that the film's audio is in French. It's sub-titled, of course. The difficulty there is, I speak French, so I'm stuck trying to translate in my head. I can't do it quickly enough. So I go back and forth, reading the subtitles, translating and trying to catch all the subtleties of the film. Not easy! I think that's why I missed a few things, and most likely have to view the movie again. It was intriguing, yet frustrating...There were layers upon layers. It left me scratching my head and yet, at the same time it made me come back and re-examine some uncomfortable topics. It draws on many contemporary fears, without coming out and actually mentioning them. I like that sort of thing. I don't need everything thrown in my face to "get it." I find that being subtle and utilizing innuendo builds the suspense and engages the mind far more than anything else. There's also a sharp political bite there, that may be easy to miss. The is a use of a metaphorical mechanism by which to pin the tail of colonial guilt on Georges and the rest of us smug bourgeois folk. I think the conclusion (or lack thereof) of the film is what most will find most unsettling. It's not all wrapped up in a neat little package for us. There's not trite and contrived conclusion that we've grown so accustomed to.
 
posted by Lisa at 3/25/2006 08:24:00 AM ¤ Permalink ¤


0 Comments:



Cost of Bush's Ego War In Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
What else could we do with a billion bucks a week?
Click here to find out.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.