.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Web Statistics
Wednesday, May 24, 2006
Ex-Gay Therapy
Now, I may need therapy for many a thing in my life. However... I don't need therapy to "make" me not gay. Sorry, but it isn't going to happen. In the first place, why would I want it to happen? Excuse me while I throw up for a minute... these fanatics make me utterly sick. I couldn't bear such self-hate and loathing as one must have to enter in to such a "program." Sorry, but I like myself too much for that. From ABC News
Melissa Fryrear says she struggled with her homosexuality and lived a decade as a lesbian before the "arduous and extremely difficult journey out" of it. "I started to come to the end of my proverbial rope," she said. "Believe me, I am the most surprised about the transformation of my life." Now, she says, jokingly, she is just looking for a tall, good-looking man who looks good in a kilt. She's taking marriage requests, in fact. " 'Braveheart' changed my life," she said jokingly. Fryrear currently is the Gender Issues Analyst at Focus on the Family, a Christian-based ministry, in Colorado Springs, Colo. The topic of "reparative therapy," or so-called ex-gay camps, has come back to the national spotlight after a teen blogger named Zach wrote in his online diary about being sent by his parents to Refuge, a youth program of Love in Action International. The group, based in Memphis, Tenn., runs a religiously based program intended to change the sexual orientation of gay men and women. Founded in California in 1973, Love in Action moved to Memphis 11 years ago. It is one of 120 programs nationwide listed by Exodus International, which bills itself as the largest information and referral network for the ''ex-gay'' movement. Zach is due to leave the camp on Friday. In an interview on the Christian Broadcasting Network, Zach's father, Joe Stark said he "felt good about Zach coming here." "Until he turns 18 and he's an adult in the state of Tennessee, I'm responsible for him, and I'm going to see to it that he has all options available to him," Stark said on the program. There are mixed opinions about the therapies and whether they are effective. Fryrear says the years in therapy have made her life "fuller and happier," though she describes it as the "most difficult thing" she believes she will ever have to go through. "For me it seemed as if this has been a journey of radical transformation," Fryrear said. "I used to believe that I was born gay. Now I know that you are not born gay. I used to have contempt that I was a woman. I used to hate and despise men and now I respect and admire and am attracted to men." Critics of these programs say they open a person to lifelong problems of guilt, shame and even suicide. Peterson Toscano, who was at the Love in Action adult program between 1996 and 1998, said he felt suicidal during his attempt at transformation from a gay man to a heterosexual man. "At one point, I was standing at the subway platform and I thought 'I need to leap because I am a horrible person,'" said Toscano who lives now as an openly gay man, but spent 17 years in different reparative therapy programs. He performs a one-man play based on his experiences called "Doin' Time in the Homonono Halfway House." On its Web site, Love in Action says its growth has "exceeded 10 percent each year for the past four consecutive years." On Zach's blog, he wrote: "My mother, father, and I had a very long 'talk' … where they let me know I am to apply for a fundamentalist Christian program for gays … I'm a big screwup to them, who isn't on the path God wants me to be on. So I'm sitting here in tears." The Rev. John Smid, executive director of Love in Action, believes people have a choice when it comes to their sexuality. He says he is "ex-gay." The American Psychological Association says there are a number of theories about the origins of a person's sexual orientation, but that most scientists agree that sexual orientation is most likely the result of a complex interaction of environmental, cognitive and biological factors. The APA says homosexuality is not a choice and that in most people, sexual orientation is shaped at an early age. "A lot of harm is done by these programs," Dr. Jack Drescher of the American Psychiatry Association told Good Morning America. "It creates shame and guilt feelings that can lead to suicidal behavior."
 
posted by Lisa at 5/24/2006 09:20:00 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


4 Comments:


  • At 5/25/2006 08:09:00 AM, Blogger Cat.

    Oh dear God, I can't even understand groups like this. Apparently, the way God designed people isn't good enough for some Christians.

    I always suspect that the reason kids are sent to these programs has much less to with their sexual preference and much more to do with a) the fact that their parents can't handle sex at all, and b) their parents don't want to be embarrassed in front of their friends/neighbors.

    There are days--recently, a lot of days--where I feel like I'm the only sane Christian left on the planet....

     
  • At 5/25/2006 08:12:00 PM, Blogger Irish Church Lady :)

    Amen sista!

     
  • At 5/25/2006 09:52:00 PM, Blogger Diana_CT

    If you are interested Peterson Toscano’s blog it is http://www.a_musing.blogspot.com/
    He is also from Connecticut and I went to one of his one man plays entitled “Queer 101” last year

     
  • At 5/26/2006 09:49:00 AM, Blogger Lisa

    Thank you Cat and ICL! I think the true meaning of being Christian is lost of many people today. You're both sane and sweet!

    Thanks for the info Diana. I'm checking out the link.

     

Cost of Bush's Ego War In Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
What else could we do with a billion bucks a week?
Click here to find out.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.