.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Web Statistics
Friday, July 07, 2006
Bookstores
I'll admit it, I love those mega bookstores like Barnes and Noble and Borders. I know they kill the competition, the "little guy" in the book selling world. But there is something about being surrounded by all those wonderful books. I'm just like a kid in the candy store. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the small, local bookshops too. They offer an ambiance and a uniqueness that the big guys just can't offer. But for the sheer volume and multitudes of choice, I love my Borders. I can go in there alone and spend hours browsing books on a vast array of subjects. I could have easily walked out of there last night with no less than twenty books. I restrained myself and came out with only one, Fannie Flagg's new book "Can't Wait to Get to Heaven" and I'm certain I'm going to laugh out loud while I read it. Of course, I need to finish my current book, "My Sister's Keeper" first. Honestly, I am finding the premise of this book a bit disturbing. From Amazon.com: Anna was genetically engineered to be a perfect match for her cancer-ridden older sister. Since birth, the 13-year-old has donated platelets, blood, her umbilical cord, and bone marrow as part of her family's struggle to lengthen Kate's life. Anna is now being considered as a kidney donor in a last-ditch attempt to save her 16-year-old sister. As this compelling story opens, Anna has hired a lawyer to represent her in a medical emancipation suit to allow her to have control over her own body. Picoult skillfully relates the ensuing drama from the points of view of the parents; Anna; Cambell, the self-absorbed lawyer; Julia, the court-appointed guardian ad litem; and Jesse, the troubled oldest child in the family. Everyone's quandary is explicated and each of the characters is fully developed. There seems to be no easy answer, and readers are likely to be sympathetic to all sides of the case. This is a real page-turner and frighteningly thought-provoking. The story shows evidence of thorough research and the unexpected twist at the end will surprise almost everyone. I have a difficult time condoning the genetic engineering of a baby just to be a donor for another child. I suppose I cannot envision this, as I only have one son. However, I've never been faced with a life-threatening illness with my child. I know I would do whatever it took to help him. But to go as far as to create another child, a sibling, just to be a match for him. I just don't know about that. It just goes against my belief that a child, your child, is a precious gift- not only to you as a parent, but to the world. My child is not "mine"- he is his own self and I am only getting to "borrow" him for a time. "Of all nature's gifts to the human race, what is sweeter to a man than his children?" -Marcus Tullius Cicero I'm wondering, in the day and age before the super-bookstore, where did we buy books? Do we read more books now that we have these stores, plus all the available outlets to purchase books online? I know that I read and owned many books as a child. I do know that we visited the library regularly but I can't recall very many trips to the bookstore. Where did they all come from?
 
posted by Lisa at 7/07/2006 07:56:00 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


1 Comments:


  • At 7/08/2006 02:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    There's something about a big huge book store that really appeals to me. You'd think that I would love the small intimate ones, but I like to get lost in the books, not chatting with the owner. Good point...I have NO idea where books came from when I was a kid. We always got them from the library or as gifts from relatives.

    "My Sister's Keeper" is an amazing story. It's easy for me to say right now that I would never, EVER have a child just to save a someone else, but...thankfully, I'm not in that postion where I really have to make that decision.

    ...Weren't the parents originally only going to use the cord blood and that was supposed to be it? I can't really remember...

    I hope you don't mind my two cents. I was just intrigued by your questions and felt the urge to respond.

     

Cost of Bush's Ego War In Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
What else could we do with a billion bucks a week?
Click here to find out.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.