.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Web Statistics
Wednesday, March 08, 2006
Parley
From the article:Kids who had emigrated from foreign countries - such as Shewit Giovanni from Ethiopia, Farah Ali from Guyana and Edgar Awumey from Ghana - often aced every test, while many of their U.S.-born classmates from upper-class homes with highly educated parents had a string of C's and D's. As one would expect, the middle-class American kids usually had higher SAT verbal scores than did their immigrant classmates, many of whom had only been speaking English for a few years. What many of the American kids I taught did not have was the motivation, self-discipline or work ethic of the foreign-born kids. Politicians and education bureaucrats can talk all they want about reform, but until the work ethic of U.S. students changes, until they are willing to put in the time and effort to master their subjects, little will change. A study released in December by University of Pennsylvania researchers Angela Duckworth and Martin Seligman suggests that the reason so many U.S. students are "falling short of their intellectual potential" is not "inadequate teachers, boring textbooks and large class sizes" and the rest of the usual litany cited by the so-called reformers - but "their failure to exercise self-discipline." The sad fact is that in the USA, hard work on the part of students is no longer seen as a key factor in academic success. The groundbreaking work of Harold Stevenson and a multinational team at the University of Michigan comparing attitudes of Asian and American students sounded the alarm more than a decade ago.
Question: Where do you fall on this argument? Have today's youth become lazy when it comes to school work? Do they put more effort into convincing their teachers they deserved a B, then effort into the actual work? And were is this going to leave the US in 20 years? <Sigh> I hate to even begin thinking about this. It hits home just a little too much for me. My son, who comes from an upper-middle class upbringing, with two (more than 2!) educated and intelligent parents is doing very poorly in school. He's bright, very bright. That is what's so upsetting to me. I feel like he thinks that everything should be easy. When I was in school, most things were easy for me, but it didn't mean I wasn't going to give my 100% effort. Because sometimes, in some subjects (like Calc. or Organic Chemistry) I had to work to get my usual A or B. I don't know what is different now. Why aren't kids motivated and self-disciplined? It wasn't like my parents were on me all of the time to do well- I was on me to do well. (I still am my own worst critic and biggest slave-driver.) I'm not over indulgent with him, he doesn't sit around watching TV or video games rotting his mind out. He just got the top reading minutes in his entire school- he read over 10,000 minutes over the past months. Something is going to have to give with these kids. In 10 or 20 years time, we'll be a sad and sorry nation. OK, a sadder and sorrier nation. How depressing...
Parley
 
posted by Lisa at 3/08/2006 02:17:00 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


0 Comments:



Cost of Bush's Ego War In Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
What else could we do with a billion bucks a week?
Click here to find out.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.