.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Web Statistics
Monday, February 06, 2006
Blizzard of '78
I'm still trying to finish "She Got Up Off The Couch" by Haven Kimmel. It isn't that it's not good- it is excellent and very amusing. I haven't spent as much time reading lately as I usually do. Typically, I finish off a novel per week. I was just too tired to finish it last night, but I'm close. Zippy was writing about the blizzard of 1978. I still recall that time. I was 8 years old. The terrific thing was we missed 10 days of school, and didn't have to make it up at the end of the year. The horrible thing was, we were snowed in. I don't mean snowed in as in we couldn't run out to the movies. We were the kind of snowed in that involved not being able to open the door to the house for a few days. I don't know what we did to entertain ourselves. My brother and sister (who were teenagers by then) might have been forced to interact with me. No cable TV, no video games, no internet.... Bless my mother and father for dealing with us all cooped up for that long. Have you ever heard of lake effect snow? It's not a pretty phenomenon. There were wind gusts up to 55 MPH and 40 inches of snow. The howling wind caused drifts 20 feet tall and the wind chill dipped to -50 F. As a child it was exhilarating. As an adult, it sounds terrible. The odd thing is, I don't recall how we finally got out. I remember my parents warning me not to tunnel into the mountain of snow caused by the snow plows finally coming. The snow could collapse and suffocate me. My neighbor across the street was one of the first people able to get out and drive. He owned an International Scout. This was before the days of 4 WD SUV's. I was lucky enough to have snow shoes and could get out and traipse across 15 feet of snow. It was an incredible experience.
 
posted by Lisa at 2/06/2006 01:45:00 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


0 Comments:



Cost of Bush's Ego War In Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
What else could we do with a billion bucks a week?
Click here to find out.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.