.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Web Statistics
Friday, February 10, 2006
The Friday Five
1.) Do you believe in God or a higher power? Yes, I do. 2.) Are good and evil just concepts, or real powers in the universe? They are very real, but not as easy to discern as we might think. It's not so black and white where this is concerned. As humans were too tempted to put labels on everything and this isn't always the best thing to do. 3.) What is your view on forgiveness? I'm most likely much too forgiving for my own good. However, I don't feel that holding on to bitterness or resentfulness will serve to better me as a person in the long run. I don't choose to poison myself that way with the negativity of it. I feel like forgiveness is something between the wrong-doer, the wronged and God. I don't feel the need for then intervention of a third party (i.e. a priest) to make it right. 4.) Do organized religions do more harm than good? This is a difficult question for me. I was raised in the church, my grandparents did mission trips to Jamaica. I do however have a difficult time saying that any one religion is "better" or more "right" than another one. 5.) If you had a day to spend playing God, what would you do? Playing God? That is a tough one. I feel as we all have free will. In the novel "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck, he uses the Hebrew word "Timshel"which means "Thou mayest" to discuss free will.

"Timshel - ‘Thou mayest’ - that gives a choice. It might be the most important word in the world. That says the way is open. That throws it right back on man. For if ‘Thou mayest’ - it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.’" - John Steinbeck.

I cannot subscribe to the fatalistic belief that everything in life has been mapped out by God. I have come to believe that it is morally wrong for me to give in to the pessimistic philosophy that weakens me to the level of a pawn in a cosmic chess game. Free will makes me responsible for my mistakes and also gives me the power to strive to be a better person.

 
posted by Lisa at 2/10/2006 12:54:00 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


0 Comments:



Cost of Bush's Ego War In Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
What else could we do with a billion bucks a week?
Click here to find out.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.