.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Web Statistics
Thursday, April 27, 2006
Don't Fence Me In...
Personally, I hate labels. But my new co-worker calling me a lipstick got me thinking. Here's a little list of some of the more common terminology from About Lesbian Life:
Butch- A woman who adopts what would be considered masculine characteristics. Lipstick lesbian- A woman who loves other women, but also loves her clothes and makeup and shoes. She tends to dress on the femmy side. Soft Butch- A soft butch is a lesbian whose appearance is generally androgynous. She may dress and act in a masculine manner, but be soft and more feminine in the inside. Also, a soft butch can be someone who falls somewhere between butch and femme, but closer to the butch side. Blue Jean Femme -A lesbian who identifies as femme, or feminine, but prefers jeans and more casual clothing to dresses and skirts. Chapstick lesbian- also known as a soft butch or androgynous. She usually dresses quite casually and does not wear make-up. The term Chapstick Lesbian was popularized after an episode of the TV show Ellen. Someone asked Ellen if she were a lipstick lesbian or what. Ellen replied, she was more of a chapstick lesbian.
I don't like to be categorized or analyzed. I'm just me. But that doesn't seem to stop everyone else from trying to put me in a box. My sexuality does not define me, it is only an aspect of who I am, just as it is for anyone else.
 
posted by Lisa at 4/27/2006 09:20:00 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


0 Comments:



Cost of Bush's Ego War In Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
What else could we do with a billion bucks a week?
Click here to find out.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.